Equinox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E Q U I N O X

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Shoutbox

ShoutMix chat widget
Latest topics
» ANAHERA!
Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 2:04 pm by Aoshi1

» Aion - jasonkeller
Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 4:00 am by Guest

» Is anyone there?
Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 7:18 am by Zankou

» just lookin for a guild
Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 pm by Zankou

» so yeah, i'm leaving.
Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:42 pm by Anahera

» Won't be able to play anymore after 23 March
Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:10 pm by Zankou

» Friend hacked
Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:33 am by Novablue

» Pathetic Attempts to hack my accounts
Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 7:57 pm by Aoshi1

» Postcards from Elysea
Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 pm by Joshgt

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Upgrading PC?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 am

I might upgrade my computer so i will be able to play more games on it. Would really love to get Aion and wondering what i would need to upgrade?
I have:
512 MB Ram
Nvidia geforce FX 5200 128 Mb
2.99 ghz processor

Thats all i know about it and thanks for any help Upgrading PC? 880892
Back to top Go down
Genesis
Martyr
Martyr

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 11:34 am

sheafty wrote:
I might upgrade my computer so i will be able to play more games on it. Would really love to get Aion and wondering what i would need to upgrade?
I have:
512 MB Ram
Nvidia geforce FX 5200 128 Mb
2.99 ghz processor

Thats all i know about it and thanks for any help Upgrading PC? 880892

Honestly, you can go to a bestbuy or a local electronics store and pick up a computer that can play aion reasonably well for $400 or so. Your computer is fairly old so upgrading individual components probably wouldn't be worth it.
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 11:35 am

Genesis wrote:

Honestly, you can go to a bestbuy or a local electronics store and pick up a computer that can play aion reasonably well for $400 or so. Your computer is fairly old so upgrading individual components probably wouldn't be worth it.
Well, Best Buy isn't here in norway, and im pretty tight on cash atm. Thats why i was hoping for being able to upgrade, and the pc is just 3 years old or so.
Back to top Go down
Kushiel
Seraph
Seraph
Kushiel

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 12:05 pm

You would need to upgrade your graphics card and Ram for sure.... but if that's a Pentium 4 processor.... Probly would be best to just buy a whole new computer lol.

I hate to say it, but it seems like your PC could be very out of date, I'm pretty suprised you bought that only 3 years ago.... technology changes so fast.

Anyways, if you have Windows XP then you need 2 gigs of ram at least. 3 gigs for vista or Windows 7. Check to see what type of graphics cards you are able to install in your computer.

Do you have a PCI Express x16 slot? if you don't I really don't know what to tell you... If you do have a PCI express x16 slot, then, go with an HD4650 or HD4670. or the Nvidia equivalent. I know ATI cards better than I do Nvidia. They are pretty new cards, take very little power and would run Aion at Medium settings, for around 50-70 USD.

Just make sure your Power Supply is big enough to handle a GPU, I bet what you have now is an integrated card on your motherboard... so adding a card would take a bit more power. If your PSU is only a 200Watt... then it won't be able to take an upgrade. You'd probly need at least 300 Watts, and 400 Watts would be safer.
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 12:09 pm

Ok, to be honest, i dont really know how old it is, i bought it used for about 90$.. they said it was 2 years old when i bought it :/ getting a new computer next year, but tahts a laptop(Can't stand gaming on a laptop >.<). Should i maybe start saving for a good pc?
What specs would you reccommend for a pc that is new/used? so i can look after price
Back to top Go down
Zankou

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:53 pm

In any case, a P4 3 gig would be able to handle Aion.
Even though people would debate it, it is possible.
I would advice u to get a minimum of a Nvidia 7600 GT (256 ram) card, thats probably the best u can pull out of it.
Ram, get at least 2 gig which is pretty cheap.

Other then that, save up for a duall core, and atm the I5 / I7 are your best friend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.equinox.darkbb.com
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Zankou: Could you tell me what P4 3 gig, and 15/ 17 is? Im not so familliar with expressions like that :/ And how can i be sure that my pc can handle that?
Back to top Go down
Zankou

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:00 pm

sheafty wrote:
Zankou: Could you tell me what P4 3 gig, and 15/ 17 is? Im not so familliar with expressions like that :/ And how can i be sure that my pc can handle that?
I5 are the new processors available.
Like for a long period of time the Duell core of Wolfsdale (e8400, e8500) etc were the best for gaming.

It seems the I5 and I7 are the new game cores,

its a Quad core of 2,6 gig or something.
But when your gaming, it only needs 1 or 2 Cores, so it automaticly boosts it towards 3,2 gig or higher on 2 cores.
I even heard of 3,6 gig. Anyway its the modern style sorta.
New processors kinda pwn :)
Pentium 4, 3 gigahertz is what u currently own.
A duall core for example, is 2x 3.0 gigahertz. (2 processors running).

Hmm, to make sure your comp can handle it, visit a computer store and ask the guy.

edit:

Ask if with your setup, a new graphic card/ram wouldn't bottleneck the whole thing (in dutch, gewoon bottleneck zeggen, snapt die wel).
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Oh, so what i basically would need is a new proccessor, Ram, and a videocard? If it would work with my pc of course :P
Back to top Go down
Genesis
Martyr
Martyr

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:06 pm

sheafty wrote:
Oh, so what i basically would need is a new proccessor, Ram, and a videocard? If it would work with my pc of course :P

To run an i5 you'd also need a new motherboard, so you're basically looking at an entire new rig. FWIW, I'm running an overclocked i5 with an overclocked ati 5850 and weather effects (sand / snow storms) still cripple my FPS. If I go into theobomos I need to turn them off.
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Dang, that wont be cheap D: Hoping my dad can get discounts at least.
Is there any other way of finding out what the pc can be upgraded to, other than asking in the store?

Found a deal i believe is great for the price here:
280GB harddisk
4GB Ram
RADEON 4350 Silent w/ HDMI-kontakt 1024 Mb
Dell 3.0 GHz

This sells for 380$
Back to top Go down
Zankou

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:37 pm

sheafty wrote:
Dang, that wont be cheap D: Hoping my dad can get discounts at least.
Is there any other way of finding out what the pc can be upgraded to, other than asking in the store?

Found a deal i believe is great for the price here:
280GB harddisk
4GB Ram
RADEON 4350 Silent w/ HDMI-kontakt 1024 Mb
Dell 3.0 GHz

This sells for 380$

Post your specs, via DXDIAG or something
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Upgrading PC? 2u74ol4
Translated the things i tought were useful xD

aaaand: nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128 mb videocard.
Anything else needed?
Back to top Go down
Genesis
Martyr
Martyr

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 3:31 pm

Hard to tell if that processor is dual core or not...I'm assuming that, based on the other specs, it's an old school pentium 4 and uses hyperthreading to create a virtual core resulting in dxdiag indicating 2 processors. Personally I'd go with the Dell you indicated. It's not going to be top of the line but if you're aiming for a price point, you can't really beat the manufactured boxes.
Back to top Go down
Zankou

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 pm

Its a Pentium 4, i used to have the same one sortof. (processor).
How strong is your eh.. Powersupply?
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:42 am

Zankou wrote:
I have no idea Upgrading PC? 468498
Sent the guy selling the computer a message :)
Main reason is for getting Aion ^^ and being able to play alot of my games without lag >.< Hoping i could join the legion here aswell ^^
Back to top Go down
Genesis
Martyr
Martyr

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:48 am

sheafty wrote:
Zankou wrote:
I have no idea Upgrading PC? 468498
Sent the guy selling the computer a message :)
Main reason is for getting Aion ^^ and being able to play alot of my games without lag >.< Hoping i could join the legion here aswell ^^

Since I've had a lot of hands-on experience with manufactured computers like that, they tend to go bare minimum on PSUs so he's probably looking at anything from 180-280w
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 6:28 am

Getting a job each weekend delivering Norway's most read newspaper on doors :D gives me about 66$ each sunday for 2 hours of work :D So if i get it right, i will be joining you guys in Aion before Christmas ^^
Back to top Go down
Kushiel
Seraph
Seraph
Kushiel

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 am

sheafty wrote:
Getting a job each weekend delivering Norway's most read newspaper on doors :D gives me about 66$ each sunday for 2 hours of work :D So if i get it right, i will be joining you guys in Aion before Christmas ^^

Thats pretty good money there :-) should be able to get a nice computer pretty quickly with that job. I'd say a pretty decent gaming computer will cost around 600 USD... I don't know how much prices vary overseas tho :-S The only Computer sites that I know of are US ones >.<
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:58 am

I know some pretty good sites, and have some good pc's in sight. :) Concidering discussing with my parents if we could share the money and get it as a christmas gift :D
Back to top Go down
Zankou

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 1:54 pm

sheafty wrote:
I know some pretty good sites, and have some good pc's in sight. :) Concidering discussing with my parents if we could share the money and get it as a christmas gift :D
hehe ;) make sure to get the North american edition then though, instead of the europe one.
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Zankou wrote:
sheafty wrote:
hehe ;) make sure to get the North american edition then though, instead of the europe one.
North American edition of what? xD
Edit: Zankou, could you plz get on msn? Easier to talk about something there :P Added u ages ago but never seen u online :P
Back to top Go down
Kushiel
Seraph
Seraph
Kushiel

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 2:05 pm

sheafty wrote:
Zankou wrote:
sheafty wrote:
Edit: Zankou, could you plz get on msn? Easier to talk about something there :P Added u ages ago but never seen u online :P

He means the NA version of Aion... If you buy the EU version, there is no way to play with us since we all purchased the NA version. Each version has a totally different set of servers to chose from.
Back to top Go down
Sheafty
Archangel
Archangel
Sheafty

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 2:06 pm

Kushiel wrote:
sheafty wrote:
Zankou wrote:
sheafty wrote:

He means the NA version of Aion... If you buy the EU version, there is no way to play with us since we all purchased the NA version. Each version has a totally different set of servers to chose from.
Where do i get the NA version then?
Back to top Go down
Zankou

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 11:36 pm

Now thats a really good question lol <3;;
Anyway.. I cant come on MSN.
I deleted that account Ages ago to lolz.

So i can't help ya out on that mate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Upgrading PC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Upgrading PC?   Upgrading PC? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Upgrading PC?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next